Couples who are looking to get married after being previously wed often have different needs than those who are getting married for the first time. In my research, I found that couples usually go one of two routes with their wedding jewelry shopping. Either they want to splurge on extravagant jewelry that they could not afford the first time. Or, the couple wants something timeless, and understated, but doesn't want to cheapen out on quality. Since there are many accessible high end jewelers out there, I decided to focus on the second group, and address the underserved ow-cost market.
My research showed that, regardless of price, previously married couples most often shop for rings together. Therefore, the site needed to find the sweet spot of being engaging to both genders. Engagement/wedding rings should reflect both spouses, and the shopping process should be easy and straightforward.
easy to navigate
design pleasing to both genders
user satisfaction with experience of the website
I wanted a sleek design that was both masculine and feminine - catering to both genders, and providing a shopping experience that would be enjoyable for any couple.
Many interactions were gone through to make sure the user could navigate well through the site, including some pop-ups just in case the user tried to leave the page during the checkout process. The interactions are noted with the blue square.
Please feel free to wander around and play!
After creating the prototype, I wanted to see if the site was functioning well, and if the design resonated with potential customers. I gathered 9 volunteer test subjects (added one more male later) to run through the prototype and perform a mock jewelry purchase on the site. Most of the test subjects were in the target age range of 35-49 (6 out of 10). In this test, I chose to focus on metrics of user satisfaction and employed a Likert scale to evaluate the design and ease of use. The data gathered from users showed an overall favorable response to the design and layout, however, only a few participants felt that the sire was better than average.
From design ideation through to the usability study and beyond, I learned quite a bit on this project. I was able to further my skills in Illustrator and Axure, and through iterations of the design and prototype, came up with a final product, that loth ugh not perfect, is even better than I initailly envisioned. In the Design Process Report, I have listed out changes that I think could benefit the design even more, and added that more usability testing within the target market would be needed.